Monday, July 13, 2009

Sweet digs at Delphi

For our Happy Fourth of July weekend, Landon, Noel, Rachael, Griffin, and I headed to Delphi. Delphi is about 2.5 hours from Athens by car and about 3.5 hours by bus. For those of you who are looking for Greece travel tips (Sade and Emily, I nod knowingly in your direction), Delphi is totally worth the drive...but only if you rent a car and stay in Arahova which is ten minutes outside of Delphi.

We stayed in a ski resort hotel/spa, and since this is the off season for skiing we got a great deal on the room, an awesome view of the mountains, and top notch service because we were nearly the only ones there. It was 100% worth the ten minute drive to Delphi.

The hotel we stayed at was my favorite Greek hotel by far! It's a swanky family-owned resort. At breakfast the hotel manager kept bringing out tray after tray of pastries, breads, fruits, eggs, cheeses, meats, and more pastries. Happy Fourth of July, let's eat like Americans!

The ruins at Delphi were incredible, the museum was breathtaking, and (though he did get a little hot and sweaty) the Griffin was happy. Here are a few of my favorite pictures.

Typically I'm not a fan of shots from behind, but I really liked this one of Landon and I walking around the ruins at Delphi.

The sisters at Delphi. We're overlooking an amphitheater, I don't remember the name of this one, because there were lots of them. And check out that view! From where we were standing you could see all the way out to the Mediterranean Sea...unfortunately, not in this picture. Please note that in every single picture, Rachael is looking like a movie star and Noel and I look like tourists.

This was my favorite thing at the Delphi Museum: a sphinx, two of which used to stand atop 25 foot columns at the entrance to the Treasury at Delphi.

I don't know what I was saying when this photo was taken, but apparently I had to say it with attituide.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Sounds like you were treated rather well. FUN!

tg said...

the sphinx looks like a griffin to me