Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The temple and a castle

The first weekend here in Germany we spent mostly just acquainting ourselves with the downtown Frankfurt area. We are staying in an extended-stay hotel in Frankfurt, which essentially means that we feel a little less like we are living out of a suitcase, and a little more like we are living in an apartment...an apartment, mind you, where someone makes your bed and does your dishes for you. I really shouldn't get used to this.

Just a three-minute walk away is an old opera house and the financial district of Frankfurt. Like the nincompoops we are, we forgot to take the camera with us on our big walk around the area, so I can't show you the cool statues or the neat architecture yet, but I promise that I'll post some pictures of the neighborhood soon.

However, this weekend we went to the Frankfurt LDS temple and then to an old castle and thankfully we remembered the cameras.

Outside the castle walls


We weren't sure exactly where we were supposed to go, but once we turned down this street we realized we were headed in the right direction...you'll note the jubilant look on my face

No mattter how hard I knocked, they wouldn't let me in the back door. But I think I should get points for inadvertently matching my shirt to the exact color of the door.


Landon and Griffin walking around the castle grounds. The gounds were breath-taking. Lots of winding foot paths and orchards and a huge pond. We could have spent hours and hours just wandering the extensive property, but unfortunately a rain storm rolled in shortly after we took this picture.


Flowers with castle windows in the background



This is a cathedral we found along the way, cool, huh?


Anyone have to potty? This was the funniest thing of the day. Inside the castle walls they had a modern art exhibit. To me it seemed slightly incongruous to have a bunch of modern art next to this ancient-looking castle, but I suppose it just made the modern art stand out all the more.
Landon and Griffin at the Frankfurt LDS Temple. We got some good video on the temple grounds, but this was the best still shot of the temple.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Have you had any German pastries yet?? Dad and I couldn't get enough! Love the photos and reading about your journeys! :-) Miss you

Heidi said...

Castles are so much fun. Exploring the old castles are some of the best memories that Nate and I have of our adventures in Europe.