Friday, April 3, 2009

Note to my son: you are not a kangaroo

I don't know if he's teething or what, but Griffin has definitely stepped up the drooling lately. It reminds me of something I'm sure I heard as a kid on either Animal Planet or Bill Nye the Science Guy about how kangaroos behave on hot days in Australia. And after a full minute of intense internet research (it would've been faster except that wikipedia didn't reference this behavior) I found documentation. According to the San Francisco Zoological Society, "Kangaroos drool and lick saliva all over their faces and bodies to cool down."

Now, I don't know if this is a case of species confusion (my little sister once spent an entire week claiming that she was a kitty) but Griffin's face and arms are constantly covered in saliva no matter how often I wipe him off. He drools with a voracity that suggests this is his sole chance of survival in the Australian bush. Landon was even concerned that perhaps Griffin would begin to grow mildew on his chest because his shirt is always damp. Of course, once I pointed out that we change Griffin's clothes daily and bathe him regularly, this became less of a concern.

But seriously, we live in Colorado and spit really doesn't seem like the most efficient way to cool off if you ask me. So Griffin, I hereby put you on notice: you are not a wild Australian kangaroo, so feel free to pear back the drooling at any time.

1 comment:

Traeger Tribe said...

How funny! You make me laugh :) :) Kids do some crazy things - I have friends that make their little ones where bibs because of all of the drool! :)