Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Test Flight


When we heard the official word that we would be traveling to Greece for three months this summer my immediate reaction was excitement and anticipation. However, those feeling were quickly laced with a little trepedation and concern. Mostly, because we would be traveling with a 5-month-old baby on 25+ hours of flight time just to get there. Call me a little looming rain cloud, but I'll be honest, this prospect seemed rather daunting.

I'm not going to tell you that I've been cured of my nervousness entirely, but after yesterday my fears have been ever-so-slightly asuaged. Yesterday, Griffin had his first airplane experience. We flew from Denver to Phoenix and he was a perfect passenger.

Oddly enough, when you travel with a baby, no one wants to sit next to you (yes, I traveled Southwest). As soon as people saw 3-month-old Griffin in my arms, they beat a hasty path to more promising rows near the rear of the plane. No hard feelings though because on a nearly full flight I had plenty of elbow room. Griffin had a bottle during take-off, slept through the first half of the flight, sat and bounced on my lap for a bit, and with a pacifier in his mouth we touched down on the Phoenix runway without a single whimper. Hoorah for Griffin!

Now I realize that on our trip to Greece we will be multiplying the flight time by ten or more. But at least now I feel secure in my optimism that perhaps the rest of our fellow passengers will not issue silent death threats to us on the flight.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I am glad it went to so well for you and especially for Griffin! I am highly considering getting a ticket and visiting you all while you are in Greece. Addie would come too, of course!

tg said...

dear cami -
I miss hugging Griffin!!!
mom