Tuesday, March 24, 2009

This one is for you

Anytime I get together with my friends who have children, inevitably the topic of Griffin's sleep patterns comes up. I guarantee you I'm not the one bringing it up. Surprisingly, I avoid this topic if I can. You may ask why, when Griffin is such a superb sleeper, I avoid bragging him up.
Well, truth be told, I know perfectly well that the "How is he sleeping?" question is one of those rote questions moms ask each other in order to compare 3-am-feeding/midnight-diaper-blowout horror stories. And frankly, that conversation is going nowhere with me.

I usually answer that Griffin is sleeping just great. Then I pause while my friend gives me an appraising stare. After which I confirm that I am in fact consistently getting 8-9 hours of continuous sleep. I've mentioned this on the blog before, and I know what a rarity it is. I have friends and family members with children ages 3months-3years who cannot get their children to sleep through the night. I've been asked on multiple occasions what my secret is.

Shamefully, there is no secret. I feel a little guilty revealing that Griffin's amazing sleep habits have nothing to do with any superb mothering instincts or groundbreaking behavior science. Truthfully, I won the BabyLotto and I know it. But for those of you poor saps who think I must have some trick up my sleeve, here are a few things that I think make a difference:
  1. I read the BabyWise book when Griffin was 1 week old. I definitely don't do everything it says (it's waaay too structured for me), but it did inform some of those early habit-forming weeks.
  2. Griffin cluster feeds in the evening, meaning he eats more frequently in the evening than during the day. I think the cluster feeding helps him make it through the night.
  3. Typically he doesn't nap in his crib. I let Griffin nap whenever and wherever he chooses during the day. If he falls asleep on the floor, in his car seat, or on my bed I let him sleep there until he wakes up or until it's time for his next feeding.
  4. Before the last feeding of the night we dim the lights and change him into PJs to let him know it's time to go to bed.
  5. Just before we put Griffin to bed, Landon wraps him nice and tight in a blanket (he literally looks like a little burrito)
I really think that last one is the most important. We found that if Griffin gets his arms and feet waving around as he sleeps, he'll wake himself up, but if he's wrapped like a burrito he sleeps through the night.

Anyway, there you have it. Now you know why I avoid this topic if possible...I just got lucky, but if I keep my mouth shut maybe everyone will continue to attribute it to my excellent parenting.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

You are one blessed mom. Enjoy all that sleep you are getting. That is great. He is getting so big. I am starting to see more of Camille in him. He is just adorable.