Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Dulcet Tones

Neither Landon nor I could ever be accused of having a terribly adept musical ear. In fact phrases such as "tone deaf" and "off key" and "shut up" have been bandied about during our attempts at singing. (Though I will note here that Landon somehow parlayed his musical ineptitude into comedy and thus landed the lead in his high school musical, making lemons out of lemonade, or whatever). The point here is that, while we like listening to music, neither of us has a discerning musical palette.

Considering his genetic background, I wouldn't have expected Griffin's musical inclinations to be much different. However, I've been surprised at how much he likes certain types of music. Case in point: today I put on my iTunes "classical" playlist and he started kicking and cooing. When Pavarotti came on, it sounded as though Griffin was trying to sing along, and he was all smiles. Occasionally, he'll react similarly to some Ben Folds piano or Aeretha Franklin, but mostly it's the classical stuff that really gets him movin'and shakin'.

So I'd say I'm pretty encouraged that perhaps Griffin didn't inherit our musical ineptitude...but then again, his cooing is pretty off key.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know what they say! 'Mozart makes babies smart.'