Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A letter to my son on the occasion of his first cold

Dear Griffin,
I'm given to understand that as a newborn baby there is an array of experiences to which you must adjust. The feel of fabric on your skin, or light in your eyes, the sensation of air in your lungs, the concepts of night and day*, the feeling of hunger, the general operation of a digestive system, the sound of my voice, and the fact that you're stuck with me as your mom.

Unfortunately, this week you are experiencing what we call the common cold: runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing, sore throat, cough, headache, etc. I know that these are the symptoms because I had the same thing just last week, and I am very sorry that you got it from me. But seriously, did you expect me to refrain from holding you and kissing you? You're too cute to leave alone and I apologize for my lack of restraint.

According to WebMD, over 200 different viruses can cause the common cold, thus making it practically incurable. I'm sorry to say that the discomfort you are feeling cannot be fixed, it must just be endured. Unlike a messy diaper, or gas, there is nothing I can do to help you through this one. I can hold you, I can rock you, I can dress you warmly. But truthfully each of these things could be soothing one second and really annoying the next. That's part of being sick too: mood swings.

Anyway, you may rest assured that this is not permanent and you should be feeling better in a few days. In the meantime, please forgive my overuse of the booger-sucking bulb the hospital gave us...I really don't want you to stop breathing because of a clogged nasal passage.

Love,
Your mom



*I'd like to add a footnote: Even when he's not sick, Griffin is sleeping 8-9 hours a night now. You may applaud and/or cheer at your discretion.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Get better soon, little boy. Colds are no fun!

Kimberly said...

I love reading your posts-you have such a way with words! And you always make me laugh. I sure hope Griffin feels better soon. Having sick kids is the worst. I'd rather be sick than my kids anytime. And wow, to Greece! I'm excited for you guys, what a great adventure for your family! Can't wait to read the posts about that!

Darci said...

So sorry about the cold! Seems there is a lot of cold/flu going around...hope you are all feeling well soon! I ditto my sister's comment, you are very funny! And HOW are you getting your son to sleep that long?! HELP!