Monday, June 1, 2009

Sundry thoughts about Greece

I was waiting to post until I had some sort of profound theme or at least a humorous anecdote to tell. But apparently I'm running low on both humor and profundities so we'll just have to settle for a stream-of-conciousness post; hang on tight, this could get messy.

Let's talk about food. The food here is great, no surprise. Greeks really know how to make your tastebuds tingle. We've found a restaurant here that we really like, called Mythos (pronounced mee-thos) and actually spelled Μύθος. Yum, yum, yum! Also, I love that the produce from the local market is mostly locally grown so it somehow tastes and smells better, richer, fuller. Truthfully, I was fairly picky when it came to oranges before, but after eating the most exquisite oranges on the planet (Florida has NOTHING on the Mediterranean) I'm pretty sure to turn my snotty little nose up at Colorado oranges for the foreseeable future.
This weekend we finally made the trek to downtown Athens. I know that a 30 minute metro ride doesn't sound like a trek, but with a 5 month old and a few added bus tranfers because of metro construction, it certainly felt like one. We spent the entire afternoon just roaming around the city. I think you'll get the idea best through picturtes:
Griffin asleep on the bus on our way to Athens

Greece Parlimentary building
Landon and Griffin at the Naional Gardens (I love Griffin's face in this one)
Me in the National Gardens (oddly the only picture with me in it, guess who was holding the camera)
A view of the Acropolis from a square in the city. We didn't hike up to the Acropolis, we're saving that for some other weekend (Apparently, it's free on Sundays)

Stopping for some dessert before heading home: the BEST baclava and lemon cheesecake.

4 comments:

tg said...

We love you guys! Thanks for letting us in on the adventure. Your blogs make us feel like we are living some of it with you.

Heidi said...

I love your posts. Keep them coming. I am so happy to hear you are enjoying it so much. What is your hotel like? What is the area like that you are living in?

The Laytons said...

Griffin is so stinkin cute! I love his face in that picture too! Umm, so I know you're not supposed to bring any produce home with you, but my mouth was watering when you described the oranges. I really want one!!

Oh, and we totally wish Landon was here to help us with our sprinkler system. We're clueless and he's the "go to" guy with that sort of thing...Oh well hopefully it will be done by the time you guys get home!

Kristy said...

Save me some cheesecake and the oranges sound mouth watering. Mostly, though keep those pictures coming. It makes your adventures become ours. Especially love Griffins expression. If he only knew what adventures await him his whole life. Love to all. HUGS