Wednesday, June 10, 2009

An Odyssey to Santorini

In the Greek classic, The Odyssey, the epic hero Odysseus takes a ten-year journey through the Greek islands encountering all manner of mishaps and adventures including shipwreck, a cannibalistic cyclops, seductive sirens and more. While our journey through the Greek islands notably misses out on the cyclops, I'd definitely still classify it as an adventure.

We boarded a passenger boat and took a 5-hour ride through the Greek islands to arrive at our final destination of Santorini: a.k.a. Greek paradise. Unfortunately, about 1 hour into the ride, the boat's engine died and we sat stranded in the waves for about 45 minutes before the crew had everything up and running again. 45 minutes may seem like too short a time for cabin fever to set in, but I was pretty sure some of the other passengers were considering mutiny.

Santorini was fantastic! It was even more gorgeous than these pictures convey, but you'll have to settle.
Griffin and I at sunset on or balcony
The sunset on Santorini
Griffin at breakfast...what a goofy grin!
Walking around the city
Our hotel was built into the side of the cliff and gave us the most perfect view we could have asked for. My father warned Landon, "Don't let Camille get used to this kind of lifestyle." Truthfully, I'm not sure that I ever could get used to it.

9 comments:

The Laytons said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Griffin's cute little grin! And oh my goodness, could the views be any better? I submit that they could not!!
Enjoy yourself and thanks for the blogs!!

Andrea said...

Wow, what an experiance! Griffin is getting so big. Take care <3

tg said...

I am sending this link on to your Aunts & Uncles
love, Mom

Nate and Julie said...

ditto to what Jenn said. Keep the pictures coming!
By the way, I could hardly recognize Griffin! he is getting so big!

Heidi said...

Griffin is absolutely too cute. I love all the adventures you three are having! Thanks for keeping us all in on the fun!

Julie Huber said...

It looks like you guys are having so much fun! Are you sure you don't need a nanny, haha? Aunt Julie is more than willing to come help you! Griffin is so cute! I can't believe how big he is! I hope all is well, and I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories!

Emily said...

Dude, I LOVE that you are living in Greece! I'm going there the middle of August and MUST get your itinerary for Santarini! It looks amazing. We totally need to talk! So much to catch up on! Do you Skype? Call me.

Valerie said...

Ok, I know I've said this before, but I still mean it: I AM SO JEALOUS!! And if anyone thought Griffin didn't look like Landon before, they are definitely proven wrong by that grinning picture!

Thanks for letting us voyeurs into your lives!

Becky said...

Cami when did he get so big?!

It looks like you guys are having an amazing time...let me know when you take the burro ride. Mom was oh so fond of that journey as she sat at the front of the buro line taking in the breathtaking views. I on the other hand was on the last burro in the line and kept getting my leg rammed into the side of the mountain which proceeded in my loosing my shoe. What an adventure!

I miss you guys oh so much and I love checking the blog! Much love!! - Becky