Friday, October 22, 2010

Confessions of a Nomad


I'm sorry.
To all of you whom I did not contact during my life's most recent upheaval, I'm sorry. There have been a million and a half time during the past month that I've thought to myself, "I really need to blog about this!" Sadly, I never did post and so now I can't remember the exact instances that inspired me enough to create a blog post inside my head. Be assured that they were nothing short of blogging brilliance and the world is currently a less enlightened place because of my inaction.
But I digress...

Back to discussing the upheaval: I'm back in Washington, D.C. Well, McLean, VA to be more precise. We are living for the next 6 months in the home of an 86-year-old woman whose late husband was a former British Ambassador. She dislikes east coast winters and so is renting her home to us for 6 months while she goes to New Zealand.

About a month ago Landon submitted his resume for a job out here on a whim. That whimsy turned into 3 weeks of home repairs, placing our home on the market, finding a place to live in the DC area, 1 week of packing, 3 days of driving, and a bucket load of anxiety.

Is your head spinning yet? So is mine.

We're here, we're excited, we're exhausted, and we're happy.
To all of our friends in Denver, thank you! Thank you again and again. To the guys who came over the night before the Open House and helped mow our lawn and paint our banister and paint the bathroom: thank you. To the friends who offered hours of babysitting and countless boxes: thank you. To our neighbor who showed up with a chainsaw and offered to get rid of the dead tree in our backyard: thank you. To the guy who lent us that amazing compressor nail gun and miter saw: thank you. To the friend who showed up the night before we left and helped me figure out how to fit everything into the car: thank you. To the dear friend who offered to rent our house on an as-needed basis: thank you. To that same friend who later agreed to oversee the delayed moving company load our stuff onto the truck so that we could leave on time: thank you. To the friends who brought us dinner when all of my dishes were packed away and I was too frazzled to cook: thank you. To friends who threw a fabulous going-away party for us: thank you. To my sister who made the 26+ hour drive bearable by volunteering as our backseat babysitter: thank you.

We were sad to leave such great friends and we will miss you each. Thanks for everything!

7 comments:

Heidi said...

I can't wait to come and visit your new home. I am so glad that you all made it safely.

Jo said...

Holy moly!! Now that the secret is out I expect to hear from you missy!! I hope we can find time to get our two kiddos together. You have been missed while you were away.

Amy Miller said...

Ummm... WOW!!! That's crazy! I had no idea! Have fun and I can't wait to hear all about the new area and job... have fun and WOW!!!

Unknown said...

That drive was surprisingly fun. Despite your husband's singing all the songs from the musical "Mama Mia," and screaming about how horrible OkGo is. He has no taste in true music. Thanks for letting me come along and have a good time with you!

Valerie said...

Camille! I can't believe you are in DC again! Is it weird that I feel bad that you left Denver? I don't even live there anymore! I just feel bad for everyone still there because I KNOW they all miss you terribly. Fun though! Please post pictures for those of us who like to stalk. :)

Nate and Julie said...

You are missed!!! I'm glad you made it safely and your trip went well. I hope life begins to resemble normalcy again soon.

Kristy said...

Well said, Camille! Thank you to all you wonderful people in Denver who helped Landon and Camille get on their new adventure! They truely left some awesome friends, who are like family behind! I always felt welcomed there! Grateful for your safe arrival and for sweet Anna's kind care with Griffin! Love and hugs to you all!