Saturday, January 17, 2009

You think you know someone


My Dad grew up raising cows and as such he favors whole milk. However, under duress he will tolerate 2% milk. He refers to 1% and skim as "blue milk" because it looks watered down to him. In my adult life most of the guys I have known would side with my father when it comes to milk preference. In fact, I had a male friend refer to skim milk as "impostor milk."

Myself, I've been a skim milk type of girl for both health and budget reasons ever since I started buying my own groceries. When Landon and I got married, I switched to 1% milk thinking I was making one of those accommodating marriage-building compromises everyone tells you about.

This brings me to a discussion that Landon and I had this morning over French Toast and our traditional 1% milk. It turns out that he was raised on skim milk. And it also turns out that he has no preference for fattier milk as I had errantly assumed. A year-and-a-half of marriage and 1% milk....and then he blind-sides me with this news. The way I figure it, at a gallon of milk a week we could have saved a total of $31.20 by purchasing skim milk instead of 1% over the course of our marriage.

$31.20!!! That's a pair of jeans...speaking of which, I am wearing Landon's jeans today because I still can't fit into any of my pre-pregnancy pants, bummer.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love it. The milk and the jeans...don't worry, someday you will fit into those jeans again. I am sure you look great.