Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Prodigal Sleep


Since we've been back from Europe, Griffin has not once slept through the night. I know, I know, this could be considered my just desserts after all of the bragging I did about his early sleeping patterns. This could also be the price I pay for neglecting to give him a consistent environment for nearly one-third of his life thus far. Whatever your theory, this situation has been taxing, to say the least. There have been many nights where I've rocked a silent pattern of self-pity in the rocking chair as I tried to put Griffin back to bed, and many days where I've complained a not-so-silent whine of indignance to my family.

You may recall the biblical story of the prodigal son and the accompanying parables of the lost sheep and the lost coin. (I realize that this seems like a tangent, but trust me, I'm bringing it full circle) At the end of each of these parables the owner/parent/shepard of the lost coin/son/sheep call all of their friends to celebrate the restoration of something that once was lost.

And so today, my dear friends, I ask you to celebrate with me the return of my lost sleep. Last night Griffin slept for eight full hours in a row! Sweet, indulgent, eight hours. When he woke up at 5:30 this morning I could have clicked my heels. Hoorah for Griffin!! And Hoorah for me!!

Oh and yes, I still need to post pictures from our Italy trip, I'll do that soon.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Yeah!

The Laytons said...

way to go Griffin! And momma! Enjoy it! And if you need a nap ever (ok, when, not if!) let me know! I'll be there!

Kristy said...

WOW! I love that kid! Asleep, awake, crawling, drooling, whatever. However, I am the lucky grandma of Griffin and do not have the responsibility of care for him. So hurray for you and yes we should all celebrate a good nights sleep! May it continue is my prayer. Love you all