Saturday, July 2, 2011

the 4th

Perhaps it was because I watched the movie Polyanna too many times as a kid, but the fourth of July always reminds me of the 1920s and barbershop quartets. It always feels like an attempt to capture a bygone era of ice cream parlors and open-air buggies. Maybe that's just me.
Today we attended a July 4th picnic...yes, I know today is the 2nd, but we're just getting an early start to our holiday. Anyway, there was a definite feeling of nostalgia to the celebrations that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

On an unrelated note, fireworks are legal here in Virginia, so we're really looking forward to a spectacular 4th.

Does the fourth of July remind you of any era in particular? What are your plans?

1 comment:

Wesley Willies said...

Oh Camille. You never ever fail to make me happy. DELIRIOUSLY happy. I almost cry every time I read your blog. Also, I involuntarily vomit. Apparently my tear ducts are connected to my vomit ducts. But sadly, again you have failed me. I have been staring at the screen of my computer since July 4th and now my eyes are hurting. And no happiness to show for it. In other news, I have updated MY blog. So you should be the first to check it out... literally the first of anyone ever to read my blog. Apparently I don;t have a lot of friends. But I have you and your blog... and that is enough.
Your blog husband,
Wesley Willy