Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Stuff to do...


Tonight is book club night. I just finished reading this month's book called 2001 Things to Do Before You Die. The host for this evening also told us to bring a list of 5-10 things that we want to do with our lives.

I enjoyed this book for some reasons, but the person who wrote it had a distinctly different world view from me. I therefore felt that some of the things on his list I would rather die than do. But reading this book did get me thinking about my mental list of things I want to do before I die. Some of them I've accomplished, some of them I am working on, some of them are distant goals, and yet others are near impossibilities. Here is a sample:




  • Become a published author
  • Make my own pasta from scratch
  • Live on the East Coast long enough to receive mail there
  • See Michelangelo's Pieta
  • Live outside of the U.S.
  • Work in a press office
  • Design and sew a wedding dress that someone wears in an actual wedding
  • Visit the Taj Mahal
  • Raise kind children
  • Learn to make the perfect soufflĂ©
  • Learn how to install a toilet, a ceiling fan, and hardwood floors
  • Reupholster a chair
  • Live in a house with secret passageways and a hidden room
  • Enjoy opera
  • Get a pilot's license
  • Finally become conversant in Spanish
  • Get a Master's Degree...in anything
  • Go on a cruise
  • Own a Dyson vacuum
  • Build a tree-house
  • Grow a lush garden
  • Become a certified rock climber

What's on your list?

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I love the list. I would love to help you accomplish your first one on the list. I really need to do this. It can not be put off any longer. Call me.

Becky said...

Um, i feel we need to work on some of these together! I definitely want the Spanish help and I want to reupholster a chair. So I figure we can do both at the same time!
Queires retapizar conmigo? (so horrible how i'm almost 99% certain that's wrong)

Also on my list is to construct a wooden dining table- preferably out of recycles teak.

Nate and Julie said...

that is an awesome list. you have inspired me to make one of my own. there's a girl in my parent's ward who makes home made ravioli from scratch and it is divine. so i may just steal "make pasta from scratch" from you.

tg said...

I have 4 more suggestions for your list. Play in the surf on the beach in Hawaii. Hike the Grand Canyon. Marry the perfect man for you. Become a disciple of Christ.

You have already done the first 3, and are doing well on the last one even though it is something that will really take a lifetime to do completely.

I love you - you have a great list!

Allison said...

Love your list! Becky told me about your book idea. I will definitely buy a copy! On my list: grow a vegetable garden that we actually eat from, be debt free, run a marathon, stay at a 4 Seasons. I'll have to give this more thought. :)