Saturday, January 16, 2010

Now who sounds stupid?


This week has left me feeling utterly idiotic. First and foremost, Griffin and I have both had a bout of the stomach flu. I'll spare the gory details and simply say that I never imagined that there could be anything more miserable than being sick with the stomach flu. However, being sick with stomach flu at the same time as your infant really tops the misery charts. Landon has been making chicken noodle soup and folding laundry and generally being Superman, which of course leaves me feeling grateful and useless.

Also, earlier this week I had a telephone conversation that went something like this:

ME: (Dialing my sister's phone number, and waiting for her to answer)
NOEL: (in a voice that sounds like she's got her nose plugged) Hello?
ME: (amused by Noel's silliness) Hi there. How are ya?
NOEL: (still with the weird voice) Um, good. And you?
ME: Good, what's up?
NOEL: (in the increasingly obnoxious voice) Not much, I suppose.
ME: Noel, you sound stupid. Cut it out.
NOEL: (persisting with the annoying voice) I sound what?!
ME: I said, You sound stupid.
NOEL: (still with the voice) Who is this?
ME: Wait, is this Noel?
NOEL: No.
ME: Really?
NOEL: This is NOT Noel. Who is this?
ME: Uh, this is Noel's sister...Are you sure you're not Noel?
NOEL: This is NOT Noel.
ME: Oh, ummmmm. Okay. I'm so sorry. (awkward pause) Well, bye.


In my defense, what are the odds of me accidentally calling a woman whose voice sounds exactly like my sister with a plugged nose. Furthermore, my sisters are often trying to make me believe I have dialed a wrong number when, in fact, I haven't. And lastly, I've just switched phone plans and I'm using Landon's old phone while we wait for mine to arrive, so I'm now dialing all of the phone numbers I normally have on speed-dial.

None of this changes the fact that I told a random stranger that her voice sounds stupid. Sorry, lady. But truthfully, you did have kind of a stupid voice.

8 comments:

tg said...

I hope you and Griffin are both feeling 100% better soon. We love you.

The Laytons said...

What can we do to help? Seriously??? I will be calling first thing in the morning to check on you!!

Heidi said...

Sorry you are so sick. Flu is no fun. Get better soon. Wish I was there to help you out.

Amy Miller said...

Hahha... that is awesome! Not the being sick part, the stupid voice part... sigh...only Cami...

Richard and Jeannie Griffin said...

That's the funniest story, (the phone one.) I just did the same thing (almost.) I recently dropped my phone in the toilet (of all places) then got a new one but used one of my older ones to transfer all my information to it. I forgot that several people had different numbers now so made about three "wrong number" phone calls. But I've done even worse than that several years ago. I'll have to tell you that story in person. Anyway, I had a good laugh reading your story. Hope everyone is all better now. Love, Uncle Rico

Becky said...

Did I ever tell you about the time I called my mom to ask about advice- i think it was getting a stain out or something. We talked for at least 5 minutes...yea, complete stranger. She thought I was her daughter...I thought she was my mom- classic. The funny thing was once we figured it out she still gave me advice, haha. Love your blog!
Miss you! Hope you are feeling better!

K. Marie Criddle said...

Oh my gosh, this made me laugh like crazy. Poor other woman. Poor you! And poor baby! Hope you all get better...you and Griffin from the flu and the lady from her awful voice.

(this is Cousin Kristi, by the way. :) )

Kimberly said...

Ha! Ha! That's really funny and embarrassing. I'm sorry you've been sick. I think it should be illegal for mom's to get sick but especially if their little ones are sick too. Not fair. I hope you're all feeling better!